[wayland-devel] RFC: Ideas to run weston on nvidia/ATI blob with hardware acceleration

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:03:16 PDT 2012

microcai wrote:

> For NVIDIA blob to work, we need two things happen:
>
> 1) weston side:
>          x11-backend will be changed to only use X for draw, get input
> directly though /dev/input/event*
>          weston-launch detects an NVIDIA card and NVIDIA blob present,
> launches a special builded X and run weston inside that X.
>
> 2) xorg side:
>         able to build a minimal X that has only the ability to load
> video drivers and creat GLX window.
>         no input drivers
>        no input support
>        no  core X render api support
>        no font support
>        no extensions except GLX
>

> 3) Mesa side
> use glx to implement EGL and wayland platform.

Will this allow clients to use the Nvidia driver to draw OpenGL or EGL
into their local buffers with full acceleration?

Assuming this is true, will this automatically happen if clients try to
make EGL buffers, or will they have to have special NVIDIA-detecting and
-using code?

Personally I feel this is necessary if wayland is going to succeed.
Nvidia will likely fix their driver, but only *AFTER* wayland is being
used. Wayland will not be used by large segments of the Linux
desktop-using industry unless full NVIDIA acceleration works.