Build problems on Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:04:48 PDT 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:42:00 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
>
> Is there any chance my old graphics card is to blame? However
> nouveau seems to work fine in this card, and OpenGL programs run.
> Also weston certainly drew *some* graphics (that icon, it's glow,
> and the cursors).

I would blame Nouveau before your graphics card. Nvfx is known
to be problematic nowadays, before the rewrite is finished.
Also desktop OpenGL is different to GL ES 2.

> Is the removal of EGL_DEPTH to blame for this?

It cannot cause your problems, but it is a workaround for a
Nouveau bug, where Nouveau ends up with a buffer setup the
hardware cannot support, hence triggering the assert.

> Is it easy to fix the permission problems? I would like to do it
> correctly, rather than just chmod +rw on all the files and
> sockets. Another worthwhile idea would be to fix weston "make
> install" so that if you are not root it detects this and does not
> bother trying to setuid.

Use --disable-setuid-install to configure, it should be shown
also in ./configure --help. Also, a recent patch makes setuid
step not fail the installation but continue.