Starting document for porting wayland to mali gpu

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 01:45:50 PDT 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 05:50:02 +0900
Simon Hong <simon.hong81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I'm new to wayland and want to port wayland on Mali GPU.
> Any advice, articles or document for start porting for wayland newbie.

Hi,

apart from the wayland website (I assume you already read all of it), I
have a writing that might help in understanding the existing works:
http://ppaalanen.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-does-egl-do-in-wayland-stack.html

In what level do you plan to port? Can you modify your EGL library?
Are you using proprietary or open driver stack? (I don't know
anything about Mali drivers.)

If you want to port Weston, the easiest thing is probably to write a
new backend that will use whatever accelerated framebuffer graphics
API you have. Or if your platform supports DRM and KMS, the drm backend
might work with some changes. Once you have Weston running, you should
have unaccelerated (shm buffer passing) Wayland clients running,
too.

Supporting accelerated Wayland clients practically requires
implementing Wayland support in the EGL library. The other option is to
implement it ad hoc, but then you need to fix every single application,
too. Decent performance requires the ability to pass hardware graphics
buffers (handles) from one process to another.

HTH,