About decorations in Unity

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 27 18:44:33 PDT 2012

On terça-feira, 27 de março de 2012 22.32.13, Damián Nohales wrote:
> El 27/03/12 19:24, Thiago Macieira escribió:
> > I guess the toolkits would simply forego drawing the decoration when it
> > detects that the window is maximised.
>
> But this behaviour is not shell dependent? for example, in KDE shell the
> windows normally does not stop to print windows decoration when its are
> maximized.
>
> How clients know when forego drawing decorations, don't they need some
> compositor talk?

I think you're missing the fact that the clients run decorations that are
specific to the environment they're running, which in turn known when to
decorate and when not to.

For example, if you're running in KDE, the KDE decorations will draw a title
bar all the time and borders only when not maximised. If you're on Unity, the
Unity decorations in your toolkit will draw the decoration only when not
maximised.

If needed, the toolkits will communicate with the Unity compositor via a
private interface so that some merging of information can be done.

Note the obvious conclusion that this requires each toolkit to have client-
side decorations for each compositor type. However, this is no more different
than each toolkit having widget styles that are alike. If you run an
application with a toolkit without such support or with somehow wrong
settings, it will look different anyway.