1.0 Branch created

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 9 08:16:14 PST 2012

On sexta-feira, 9 de novembro de 2012 10.37.06, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> I've created 1.0 branches in the wayland and weston repos.  I found it
> confusing the use the 'master' and 'next' terminology when replying to
> patch emails and being able to just say 'commited to 1.0' is a lot
> clearer than saying 'committed to master' and then wonder whether
> 'master' is the feature branch or the stable branch.

It's a matter of taste. But here's a little suggestion from me:

Some projects prefer the master branch be the default check-out and contain
the latest version that "regular" people should use. The question is then what
is "regular".

If you're expecting a lot of newcomers to clone, the default branch should be
the stable version. If you're expecting them to be developers, it should be
the development branch. For example, the Linux kernel and Git itself publicise
their stable repositories (linux-stable.git, git.git), where the master branch
is the default and contains the latest stable. On the other hand, GNOME and
KDE devs have their development branches in master (the default), which is
closer to past Subversion and CVS usage.

One thing I no longer recommend is having the version number as the branch. I
recommend instead to have semantic names like "next" or "stable". This way,
once you check out the branch that is right for you, you only ever need to run
git pull, even for people inexperienced in Git.

See my proposals for Qt in [1] [2] [3], which we're adopting.

[1] http://lists.qt-
project.org/pipermail/development/attachments/20120927/13b4a7ef/attachment-0006.png
[2] http://lists.qt-
project.org/pipermail/development/attachments/20120927/13b4a7ef/attachment-0007.png
[3] http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-
September/006691.html

[or with everything in one:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/6738 ]
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358