Support for complete OpenGL

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Mon Nov 26 10:05:03 PST 2012

On 11/26, Selva kumar wrote:
> I am interested in contributing to wayland to support full OpenGL not
> just OpenGLES. where do I start. I have experimented with openGL
> libraries a bit. I am a complete newb to wayland. and I know X creates
> lots of interdependencies which are not necessary for a single PC(not
> networked I mean). Who should I talk to for this. and one more thing.
> how wayland handles events?? or wayland is just a compositor and
> display server??

It sounds like you're talking about this:

On 12/10, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> There's a couple of tricky things about GL in Wayland right now. First
> of, it's all EGL and GLES2.  Longer term we'll need an answer for apps
> that need full GL, but the problem is that libGL pulls in GLX and all
> the X dependencies.

- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-December/000330.html

I think a solution that was talked about that makes the most sense to me is
to break libGL into X specific and non-X specific parts, create a wrapper
of both to provide backward compatibility with the existing libGL, and then
use only the non-X specific part with Wayland.

--
"As humans, we are taught to forget that we are animals."
- forward to Johnny The Homicidal Maniac