Weston framerate (Re: bare bones opengl weston client sample)

jegde jedge bubbah.t at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 17:48:17 PDT 2012

Sorry for the delay, my mail tool didn't link up this thread fro me.

I am running w/ DRM not X11; running weston in an X client was not
adequate for my test app.
I start by obtaining a virtual terminal ;init 3 ; then weston-launch
This way I eliminate any X11 variables.
You can see egl loading the dri driver when it starts up.
If there is a better way please let me know.

I run the the application with glut and weston using the same MESA
stack that I compiled for weston.
So, the only real difference is between glut/simple-egl and gnome(X11)/weston

My CPU usage is:
weston - ~20+ fps - 3%
glut(X11) - 60 fps - 17% - (60 is a hard limit for glut)
tells me there is more to be had.
This application renders  ~100 256x256 rgb textures on a moving map display.

I don't understand the wayland frame listener callback and how the
wl_iterate works to drive redraw in simple-egl.
So, I am hoping I am just using it wrong.

I was hoping to do something similar to glutPostRedisplay() in a mouse
drag event.
This way I can start panning my textured tiles for a good test.