new xwayland protocol

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:27:50 PDT 2012

Tiago Vignatti wrote:

> It features ... forwarding global coordinates to X

I don't like the idea that X clients are "privileged" to get this
information, while real Wayland clients can't get it.

What is going to happen is Wayland clients are going to use the X api
just to get this information. I can tell you right now that our own
software is not going to be usable unless we can save window layouts,
and we are interested in portability to Windows and OS/X where the way
to place windows on various outputs is to use the coordinates, not an id
for the output.

My recommendation is to give up on useless "purity" and make Wayland
clients be able to get and set the exact x/y coordinates of their surfaces.