[patches] Add a color management framework to weston

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Apr 4 11:21:41 PDT 2013

Am 03.04.2013 21:47, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> Patch 1 adds the framework code, patch 2 adds the ability to load CMS
> modules, and patch 3 adds a CMS module written for colord. With those

People have a hard time to understand ICC and colour termininology. So
some annotations to that first.
A CMS module for a CMF. That is in conflict with your explanations. You
defined colord as a CMF but call it a CMS module (one which can do by
your definition colour conversions like ColorSync, WCS or Oyranos). But
the colord API can not do any colour conversion as would be typical for
a CMS.

You weston code is outlined as a CMS not a CMF (in your terminology),
because you link against a CMM.

In case you like to provide the device configuration side only, then
lcms is not needed at all.

In case colour conversion is part of the plan for weston, then calling
this code a CMS is spot on.

To the actual code,
Parsing of ICC profiles inside weston is not nice. That would be better
abstracted out to lay inside the CMS plugins. Those CMS plugins can link
against lcms or whatever CMM they prefere.

> I've left a wodge of documentation in src/cms.h explaining all the
> terms and the general idea on how I think this should work. There are

You explain the term "CMF". The first idea, which pops to my mind, is
the "Colour Matching Function", which is fundamental to the CIE and ICC
specs. Are you aiming to do spectral imaging in weston?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe