Input and games.

Todd Showalter todd at electronjump.com
Tue Apr 30 05:30:52 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-30, at 3:29 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What an application could actually do when it receives a home button
> press via the special path is an important question. Since Wayland does
> not allow random clients to just jump in, you need to specifically
> think how to enable a desired response. In that respect, having a third
> party program handling the home button is very problematic, since you
> probably want something to happen on screen.

    Perhaps this is a place for window manager functionality; if there is a separate home button message, we could allow a window to request to filter home button messages for another window.  So the hypothetical steam behaviour would be to request the home button events for any games it spawns.

    The advantage of the separate event in that case would be isolating the home button event, since I presume that nobody wants the security nightmare of arbitrary event filtering. The home button is a system meta event, so it's reasonable to have other processes watching it.

    I suppose it could be a broadcast event...

                                 Todd.

--
  Todd Showalter, President
  Electron Jump Games, Inc.