Support for remote desktop systems

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Aug 6 09:46:44 PDT 2013

Hi Andrew,
Nice to hear from you. :)

Unfortunately, the pretty blunt answer is that it's not the kind of
interface we're intending to support at the moment.  There are two
primary reasons behind this: the first is that by design, we tend to
put things like this in private, compositor-led, protocol.  So, when
you go to take a screenshot in Weston, the compositor spawns a client
which is then given a private interface - specifically for screenshots
- that no other client can see.  From this, the compositor would need
at least some involvement.

The second, which is a little more serious, is that the buffer
handling is totally abstract and not specified by the Wayland protocol
itself.  wl_buffer objects (which are not really transportable between
clients) can be created by the EGL stack, or SHM buffers, or, or, or.
There's not much getting around this, without the compositor being the
one to map the buffers into userspace and pull the content out.  This
is pretty much what the extant RDP compositor backend already does, as
I see you've noticed.

We're hoping that Weston, which has a pretty strong plugin
architecture, will serve as the base for many environments, so with
any luck targeting that will give you good reach.  The RDP compositor
backend, and screenshot/videocast clients should be able to serve as a
pretty good example of how to go about it.

Sorry to disappoint ...

Cheers,
Daniel