[Accessibility] Need to be able to sythesize mouse events

Piñeiro apinheiro at igalia.com
Wed Dec 11 11:15:57 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 07:09 PM, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> Wayland doesn't have a way to inject mouse events currently. Some
> protocol must be written, which would be presumably implemented as a
> private protocol which only trusted clients can use, given the
> security implications.

I was guessing about that. While reading about Wayland, I found this
extension:
https://github.com/01org/wayland-fits

And as you can read on the description:

"The first protocol is a interface for generating input events
on the server-side (e.g. mouse, keyboard, touch)."

What I was not sure if that would the one to go for accessibility needs,
and also if implemented as a private protocol, how at-spi2 could use it.
Or in other words, how declare at-spi2 as a trusted client.

> Giulio
>
> 2013/12/10 Piñeiro <apinheiro at igalia.com>:
>> GNOME Assistive Technologies need to be able to synthesize mouse events. Use
>> cases:
>> * Perform a mouse button click for users who cannot use a physical mouse
>> * Route the mouse pointer to an object or element to trigger its hover
>> action
>>
>> The Orca screen reader currently provides these commands via calls to
>> AT-SPI2's atspi_generate_mouse_event() which in turn calls
>> spi_dec_x11_generate_mouse_event() [1]. The equivalent functionality is
>> needed for Wayland environments.
>>
>> How are we going to accomplish this?
>>
>> [1]
>> https://git.gnome.org/browse/at-spi2-core/tree/registryd/deviceeventcontroller-x11.c#n1404