Announcing Termistor, a drop-down, tabbed, terminal for Wayland

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at
Thu Dec 26 13:47:39 PST 2013

Hi all,

I've finally found a way to squeeze good performances out of my
terminal embryo I've had for a few months, so I hereby announce the
birth of the first drop-down (optionally), tabbed, terminal for
Wayland! Obligatory screenshoot:

It's a Qt5 client, and uses libtsm for the background work. Given
Wayland clients don't know where they are nor they can tell the
compositor where they want to be I came up with a draft of a
protocol[0] where the client sends a surface and the server then
arranges for showing and hiding it.
There are some things yet to solve though. The biggest one is the
binding to show/hide the surface. Like, should the client or the
server dictate what binding to use? Should it allow many drop-down
clients to exist at the same time? To be visible at the same time?

I've implemented the protocol in my shell plugin for Weston,
'Nuclear'[1], with an hardcoded F11 binding.

Termistor is still lacking many features, the selection for one, but
this is yet another step to ditching X for me.