New wayland backend for threaded EGL/GLSL emulator

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 10:00:13 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Jonas Kulla <nyocurio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, nice work!!

Hey, thanks.

> Are you using SDL for joystick input?

Yes, it uses SDL for joystick input.

> Something I've been wondering for some time now is wether wayland
> can support native joystick events, as there is an evdev driver for it.

Certainly possible.

> In SFML for example, if it wasn't for joystick input, the input thread
> could
> just sleep waiting for new events to come in, but it has to continually
> poll
> the joystick state. This could be solved very elegantly I think by just
> having
> a "joystick" or "gaming" protocol extension with native events.

Yes, that would require a significant amount of work though I don't see any
reason why it couldn't work.
Currently, weston detects joysticks as mice and the first axis controls the
pointer 1-1. We need a way
to distinguish between device types and handle them accordingly.

- Scott