[RFC Weston 00/10] Sub-surfaces v2

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 06:36:21 PST 2013

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:07:44 +0200
Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> To do, bugs:
>
> - destroying the wl_surface of a wl_subsurface will prevent
>   destroying the wl_subsurface, fix this, and adjust the
>   protocol description accordingly
>
> - double-buffering of sub-surface z-order changes
>
> - a demo client with window decorations stitched from 4
>   non-overlapping sub-surfaces
>
> - fix eglSwapInterval in Mesa (krh?)
>
> - fix full-surface alpha for surfaces that have sub-surfaces
>
> - in subsurfaces demo, put the GL widget into its own thread, so
>   it is truely as concurrent as it can get.
>
> - reimplement the "black surface" in shell as a sub-surface
>

> The new code can be browsed in:
> http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/pq/weston.git/log/?h=subsurface-v2

The above todo still stands, while...

> - fix frame throttling in subsurfaces demo
>
> - subsurfaces demo behaves strangely under the DRM backend of
>   Weston, debug and fix it. A timestamp issue?
>
> - even with three buffers in a pool, subsurfaces may still run
>   out of free buffers. When that happens, "all buffers are held
>   by the server" error message appears, and sub-surfaces may be
>   out of sync. Related to frame throttling.
>
> - glitched rendering of the GL widget in subsurfaces when Up or
>   Down key held pressed, might be related to frame throttling.

these I think I nailed with two new patches that I already pushed to
subsurface-v2 branch:

compositor: fix buffer reference leak in commit_from_cache
window: throttle resizing to the main surface

I have tested it even with early buffer release hacked out from Weston.