Creating a Window Manager to use Wayland (that's not in C)

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Tue Jan 8 09:50:15 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:24:44 -0800
> kristof <saposcat at myopera.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm planning on creating a rather minimal Haskell based
> > compositor/window-manager for use with the Wayland display server
> > protocol. After some reading, I've come to the conclusion that I need to
> > create a Haskell API for the Wayland protocol by using the xml provided
> > (I'll be using the one from the 1.0.3 release), have a rendering library
> > that also has Haskell bindings (Cairo will serve nicely for this purpose,
> > which already has Haskell bindings available), and also create bindings
> > for xkb, before I can start working on the compositor and window-manager.
> > Am I missing anything?
>
> Hi,
>
> maybe the EGL bits, if you plan to support hardware accelerated
> graphics on clients, but I think that's optional. Hardware accelerated
> clients will basically give you an EGLImage in the server, which you
> usually turn into GL textures.
>
> As for the language bindings, this might be of interest to comment on:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2012-December/006861.html
>

> Thanks,
> pq

Kristof,
I'm currently working on something similar in Java for the Android
platform.  I'm getting close to the point where I can throw my java binding
code up on GitHub in case that's helpful.  I'd love to see some of your
thoughts on language bindings.  Haskell in particular would provide a
different perspective on language binding that could prove very useful.  I
also suggest you check out the link in pq's e-mail.
--Jason Ekstrand