xserver problems

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 19:06:04 PDT 2013

Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 05:07:31PM -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
>>> Though I agree that the built-in default should load the wlshm
>>> driver if needed, this is not the problem I am trying to fix.
>>>
>>> My /etc/X11/xorg.conf file contains 'Driver "nv"'. This causes the
>>> wayland xserver to fail. This will happen whether or not wlshm or
>>> wlegl drivers are needed. I suspect there is a lot of other crap in
>>> my xorg.conf that will mess up the wayland xserver, not just this
>>> driver line.
>>
>> The drivers that understand xwayland opt-in but setting the
>> HW_SKIP_CONSOLE flag in the DriverRec driver func.  It's not the most
>> clear way to opt in, but it should suffice to keep any existing hw ddx
>> driver from loading when you run the xserver in xwayland mode.  Thus,
>> nv should fail to load causing the server to skip to the next driver
>> in the fallback list, which should be wlshm.  Changing the fallback
>> driver in the xwayland case would be a good patch.
>
> Then it is possible there is something else in my xorg.conf file that
> breaks this. I still feel it would be better to not read it at all.

Actually it does act exactly like it can't find the wlshm server, which
I cannot get it to specify unless I make a special xorg.conf file. I
guess you are saying that if the default load of wlshm worked, my
xorg.conf would not break things by leaving the driver at the default.

I still find it really weird that you do not want to skip reading this.
The rest of my xorg.conf is to set up multiple outputs and input devices
in order to get a tablet and second mouse to work, all of which should
be replaced by wayland (which will i believe have a much more
intelligent ability to discover input and output devices). I would think
at least waste a lot of time.