minimized and stick windows

sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net sardemff7+wayland at sardemff7.net
Thu Jun 13 01:00:03 PDT 2013

On 12/06/2013 21:39, Bill Spitzak wrote:

>>> Shell surface types, exclusive: - top-level - transient (umm,
>>> what was this for, again?) - popup (menu?)
>>
>> Transcient is for dialog (modal?) boxes, isn’t it?
>
> It means "this window stays above another one".
>
> Transient cannot be a type, but instead a state of a surface. It has
> to be done by setting a "parent surface" which means that the
> compositor keeps the surface above the parent. It does not imply
> anything else, in particular the client decides whether either
> surface is currently visible.

It can be a type as long as we allow type switching. Regarding the types
we more or less agreed on already, thas sounds sensible to me.

> The client has to be able to arbitrarily rearrange the parent
> pointers. This means it can set them to null (since otherwise it is
> not possible to get all rearrangements if the compositor rejects any
> attempts that make a loop). Therefore a "transient surface" can
> become a "main surface" and thus they must be the same object.
>
> This is a requirement so that non-trivial clients can be written
> that are not forced to blink the transient windows to change their
> parenting.

Do you have a use case for this scenario ? There are probably some I
cannot see, but maybe could we solve them another way.

> Popups are also transient windows (and thus normal windows) but they
> have some effects on event delivery when they are first mapped.

Same question, do you have a use case for a popup surface that you would
reparent? For our current use case (menus, do we have another one?) this
is unlikely (afaict, I am not a toolkit guy).

Quentin “Sardem FF7” Glidic