Clipboard and selection in wayland.

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:25:18 PDT 2013

Yichao Yu wrote:

> I think the middle button paste function is very different from
> drag-and-drop. It's more like a auto-copy-clipboard. For
> drag-and-drop, the client that starts the dnd (therefore provide the
> data), should have focus but isn't(haven't been) necessarily selecting
> anything. While for middle button paste (or normal clipboard), the
> client that provide the data usually don't have the focus (unless it
> is the same client that receives the data)

The client that provided the data had the focus when the selection was
made. And I have never seen a drag & drop scheme that did not either
require the source to be selected (ie for text) or caused the item you
dragged to become selected. So I really fail to see the difference.

In point-to-type the client providing the data loses the focus on the
drop and the dropped client gets it. I think also there are clients that
purposely grab the focus on drop.

> IMHO, the middle button paste should be supported by adding a set of
> requests/events similar to those of selections to wl_data_device (just
> like the relation between PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD selection in X11).
> Since all toolkit support the middle button paste in x11 now, they
> should support these just well in this way.

Possibly but I think it is important that an attempt be made to merge
the drag & drop into this. The middle mouse paste is far, far, more
similar to drag & drop than cut & paste and if the api is not shared
then I think there is a bad deficiency in wayland's design. If this
means the api is shared with cut & paste too, then that is even better.