Auto key repeat in wayland.

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 09:58:36 PDT 2013

Hi Brenden,

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Friar <friarzen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please also consider the case of video games that are running in
> non-full-screen mode that don't WANT key auto-repeat.  They should have a
> way to turn off repeated notifications.  Having to wade through a ton of
> auto-repeated keyboard events to find the actual up/down signals is likely
> to cause some input lag and even a few milliseconds can affect performance.
> Clients shouldn't be forced to create crazy outside connections directly to
> input devices to get primitive input handling.

This is a good point. I think the plan here as discussed before is
that, eventually we'll have a way for clients to request 'raw events'
which means the compositor will hand events to the client with minimal
or no processing (including key repeat). So key repeat would still be
handled by the compositor but clients would have a way to not care
about any such things. With weston, I believe that alt+tab is reserved
for switching away from fullscreen windows but I'm not sure how this
would work for a 'raw input grab'. Currently, no such implementation
exists to my knowledge.

- Scott