Compiz is Dead - Beryl Lives Again? Enter - Northfield/Norwood

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 11:41:59 PDT 2013

Hi Casey,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 02:43:27AM -0600, Scott Moreau wrote:
>> What Northfield *is not*
>> - A fork that will change protocol in fundamental ways that diverts
>> from the wayland EGL spec
>> - A project that aims to cause divisions in the community or the Linux
>> Desktop code
>> - A project that breaks core wayland protocol in unrepairable ways
>> - Diverting significantly from wayland
>> - An unfriendly 'takeover'
>> - Unnecessary
>>
>> The key point to understand is, that this is not a new protocol in its
>> own right. It *is* the wayland protocol, with a few minor additions
>> that make it possible to do new interesting things. It uses the same
>> EGL drivers in Mesa implementing the wayland-egl specification. This
>> will not change. Northfield will always use the same driver stack as
>> wayland. The difference is, that I now have the time to dedicate to
>> being a (hopefully very) responsive maintainer.
>>

> Then fork Weston and leave Wayland alone.
>
> More and different and better compositors have always been expected. Forking
> the wayland libs itself is just creating confusion and giving yourself the
> opportunity to break the protocol (which is extensible by default, and Weston
> already adds features to it).
>
> This is just making a mess after Canonical has already confused things with
> Mir. I'm already cringing at the thought of how Phoronix is going to cover this.
>
> --CJD

I know the post is long winded, but please read it in its entirety
before jumping to conclusions. These excerpts from the original post
should have alleviated your concern:

"The key point to understand is, that this is not a new protocol in its
own right. It *is* the wayland protocol, with a few minor additions
that make it possible to do new interesting things."

"What Northfield *is not*
- A fork that will change protocol in fundamental ways that diverts
from the wayland EGL spec
- A project that aims to cause divisions in the community or the Linux
Desktop code
- A project that breaks core wayland protocol in unrepairable ways
- Diverting significantly from wayland"

"Perhaps it will come
to stand on its own as a new wayland compositor, but not a new core
protocol as is the case with Mir."

Thanks,

Scott