Compiz is Dead - Beryl Lives Again? Enter - Northfield/Norwood

Scott Moreau oreaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 11:51:07 PDT 2013

Hey Casey,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Casey Dahlin <cdahlin at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:41:59PM -0600, Scott Moreau wrote:
>> "The key point to understand is, that this is not a new protocol in its
>> own right. It *is* the wayland protocol, with a few minor additions
>> that make it possible to do new interesting things."
>
> Then don't fork the library.

I did not want to call it a fork since I don't feel that it is.
However, I have now changed the name and announced it as a fork at
Kristian's request.

> "A few minor additions" can exist outside the codebase. Hell, all of the shell
> protocol exists outside the wayland codebase. All of THE DRM CODE exists
> outside of the wayland codebase.
>
> If what you say is true about not forking the protocol then there is NO reason
> to fork libwayland.
>
> --CJD

Yes, there is no reason to fork libwayland. And I don't feel this is a
true fork, just a temporary rename to avoid the confusion it might
otherwise cause, remaining under the 'wayland' name. Wayland has been
in my github repo since I've uploaded it there. The only difference
now is, the name has been changed and an official fork announcement
has been made by request.

- Scott