Input and games.

Rick Yorgason rick at firefang.com
Fri May 3 11:06:37 PDT 2013

Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at ...> writes:
> > > Maybe there could be some scheme, where we would not need to have the
> > > wl_seat<->player mapping configurable in games after all, if one goes
> > > with server side heuristics. There are also the things Daniel wrote
> > > about, which link directly to what we can do.
> >
> >     I vote do it on the server, however it winds up being done.  It
> > means the client is isolated from a whole bunch of things it would
> > otherwise need to explicitly support, and it means that things happen
> > consistently between games.  It also means that any bugs in the
> > process will be addressable without shipping a new build of the game.
>
> Cool, I agree with that.

In console-land, all three major consoles allow you to forcibly change your
controller numbers by pressing or holding the home button and choosing some
option to reconfigure your controller, so there's certainly good precedent
for it being handled by the OS.

Also worth remembering is that all three major consoles have controller
number LEDs from 1 to 4. It would be nice if we could assume that the
controller indicator LED matched the pad_index whenever possible.

-Rick-