[RFC] wl_surface scale and crop protocol extension

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon May 6 11:19:39 PDT 2013

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Fri, 03 May 2013 12:11:17 -0700
> Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>>
>>> What chip do you have in mind, that can do arbitrary
>>> matrix-based transforms during an overlay scanout?
>> That just means the surface cannot use the overlay, or the compositor
>> has to use an intermediate image. There are lots of other reasons the
>> surface does not use the overlay, such as not being the top one.
>
> Ok, so there is no use for what you suggested. Very good.

Can you explain what you are talking about?

Hardware that can't apply an arbitrary transform during overlay can
often do an arbitrary transform when doing an "over" composite used for
the non-overlay windows. I certainly expect the scaling api to be
available for these even if it means the window will not use the overlay
hardware.