Axis events to keyboard focus (Re: Input and games.)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 7 23:38:53 PDT 2013

On Tue, 07 May 2013 12:14:56 -0700
Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>
> > If you want to move a pointer with a gamepad in a game, then implement
> > that whole pointer thing in the game. Don't screw up the protocol for
> > it.
>
> I was under the impression that a "seat" can have more than one mouse
> and they both move the single pointer, but that does not stop a client
> from distinguishing between the mice if it wants.

No, clients cannot distinguish the mice in that case, with the existing
protocol.

> All I am suggesting is
> that the same mechanism be used for gamepads so the controls can move
> the cursor as well for a client that does not care about gamepads.

That is completely different to the mice thing: you are emulating a
pointer device with a gamepad, and then at least switching between
pointer emulation and real gamepad events, or worse, sending several
input events (pointer and gamepad) from one physical event. To quote
your words: No don't do this.

> I think my other concern that multiple seats control a single pointer is
> already been brought up by others in this list, as the idea of there
> being a hierarchy of seats, or some kind of linking of seats. This seems
> to solve the problem imho.

That's also madness, if it is present in the protocol or in any way
visible to clients apart from current behaviour.