Is light-weight window manager possible with Wayland?

Michael Pozhidaev msp at altlinux.ru
Thu May 16 22:08:23 PDT 2013

Hello!

Maybe the things I am asking now are well-known but although I have tried to
read various materials about Wayland and Weston some details remain
unclear for me. I would like to clarify them and would be very grateful
for any help!

Is creation of light-weight window manager possible for Wayland? I mean
window manager that does windows size and position manipulation in the
same manner as for example DWM does.

I think it is very convenient when it is possible to write your own WM
with less than 2000 lines of code and implement any custom behaviour you
want.I am not interesting in any visual effects and any other features
usually discussed as Wayland or Weston advantages.

Is "shell" term used in Weston is a thing I need? Can I implement tiling
WM behaviour with it? I have tried a search for "tiling window manager for Wayland"
and found ADWC:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA5MTA

This page says that "ADWC supports multiple monitors and is an experimental fork of the Weston reference compositor for
Wayland." I think any clone of Weston itself cannot be a real
light-weight window manager.

Am I wrong in my conclusions with "shell" for Weston? Thank you for any help! :))

--
Michael Pozhidaev. Tomsk, Russia.
Russian info page: http://www.marigostra.ru/