Thoughts about decoration information in the xdg_shell

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Nov 18 11:14:03 PST 2013

On segunda-feira, 18 de novembro de 2013 10:35:58, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> I also want to put in a very strong vote against any kind of idea that a
> client can "prefer SSD", as is being continuously suggested here with
> comments like this:
>
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > A client MAY ask the compositor to draw decorations.
>
> This is going to be used as an excuse by clients to *require* SSD.

A client may ask, but the server may not support the extension. If it doesn't,
then it won't reply and then the client will have to draw its decoration.

But your other suggestion that the compositor tells clients not to draw is
even better.

The only detail is that this extension doesn't exist yet, so the compositor
needs to check whether the client acknowledged the message. If it didn't, then
the compositor must assume the client is decorating itself.