New to wayland, need help pls.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 22:51:21 PDT 2014

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:08:12 +0000
"Bryce W. Harrington" <b.harrington at samsung.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 10:13:15AM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:11:11 +0530
> > Srivardhan M S <srivardhanms at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to Wayland, and I would like to contribute to it. I have already,
> > > downloaded the source code and have built it. Now reading the documentation
> > > for understanding. Can you pls tell me how I can start involving and
> > > contributing to wayland?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > if you have no idea where to start or any features you would like to
> > add, here are some suggestions specific to Weston. If you want to work
> > on a different compositor, or maybe toolkits, or maybe things like
> > SDL's Wayland support, those would be welcome, too.
>
> Maybe adding more tests?  Any particular features recently added that
> could benefit from tests added?

Yes! That is a good one. Either adding completely new tests, or maybe
working with Marek Chalupa in converting all possible FAIL_TEST cases to
normal TEST cases, as permitted by Marek's
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-April/014190.html

I can't list any features off-hand that would need new tests which would
be easy to implement. But I guess we should at some point hook up a
real renderer to the headless backend, and add infrastructure for the
test framework to do screencaptures, so we could test also rendering
and things like window stacking and surface/buffer transformations.

Pixman's fuzzer test might be a good inspiration on how to actually do
the tests once the infrastructure is up:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pixman/2014-April/003229.html
Provided we can guarantee pixel-perfect rendering, which might not
always be true, so a checksum-based checking might not always work.
But I think that is getting quite heavy for just introductory work.