Deep Color support

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger.maillist at draxit.de
Sat Apr 26 12:15:33 PDT 2014

Hi,

could someone please fill me in, if and if yes, how deep color modes
(more than 8 bits per color channel) are (going to be) supported and
handled by the Wayland protocol, compositors and clients?

I'm currently toying around (for self educational purposes) with direct
access to the GPU (using libgbm, libdrm and EGL). But I've found only
very little information on how deep color modes can be implemented. I
understand that most available display scanouts don't support it
(hardware wise), but for framebuffer contents exchanged between
processes and for color management deep color is essential.

Anyway, with libgbm I was able to successfully create a X2R10G10B10
mode on the display scanout. However I'm also interested in really
deep modes like A16R16G16B16.

So how are those things handled by Wayland?

Thanks

Wolfgang