Wayland and Weston 1.6 alpha snapshot (1.5.91)

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Fri Aug 22 10:51:19 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is the alpha release on our road to 1.6.0:
>
>   0b0513706eee5a43d33f5e4bc9cafa5d78037db5  wayland-1.5.91.tar.xz
>   6d0f298665e0f6b11a18ab6b6ccc49ba990b4b3e  wayland 1.5.91 tag
>
>   59b3f1fa9456ed9cf6b21201647ce3a96c91e03b  weston-1.5.91.tar.xz
>   652c794b5d54d4c3eb849746e1372bcb9c4d96d3  weston 1.5.91 tag
>
> The release plan continues as follows:
>
> - two weeks to let the alpha version stabilize, and only merge small
>   features along with bug fixes
>
> - RC1 release on September 5th, Friday
>
> - bugfixing
>
> - RC2 release on September 12th, Friday
>
> - hopefully no more bugfixing much
>
> - 1.6.0 release on September 19th, Friday
>
> - at some point later master branch opens again for all new things
>
> We have moved from a dedicated maintainer (Kristian) project to a
> community maintained project, where several key people have commit
> rights, but no-one is dedicated as the maintainer, at least yet. Things
> started very slowly and the review backlog grew enormous, as Kristian
> was no longer heroically reviewing and committing everything, and
> everyone had their own $jobs to do.
>
> Collabora agreed to let me run the alpha release as I had a convenient
> break from other projects, so you could say this release is brought to
> you by Collabora. ;-)
>
> Also, a huge thank you to all contributors!
>
> I will leave the list of new things for the final 1.6.0 announcement,
> but I probably should mention xdg-shell now.
>
> Just before this alpha release, we bumped the xdg-shell experimental
> version[1]. This means that the world breaks, as the experimental
> version must be matched exactly. Jasper will be bumping Mutter and Gtk
> to match. We expect to have another bump before 1.6.0 is out, but after
> that I think it will be solid.
>
> Then, in 1.7.0 we plan to move the xdg-shell.xml file into Wayland, to
> be installed as a stable protocol for everyone to use, and projects can
> throw away their private copies of xdg-shell.xml. That would be the
> point where xdg-shell starts to guarantee backwards compatibility. The
> 1.7.0 release should be the last flag day for xdg-shell.

One small note here.  Even if we don't make any changes to xdg_shell
between 1.6 and 1.7, the universe will break again at 1.7.  This is because
we'll pull the experimental_version request which changes the order of
things.  Do we have a plan for how to keep this from going too badly?

--Jason Ekstrand