Multiple Display Support

Abhijit Potnis abhijitpotnis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 05:40:34 PDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:04:08 +0530
> Abhijit Potnis <abhijitpotnis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello ,
> >
> > I have a doubt regarding Wayland/Weston's support for multiple displays.
> > am of the assumption that "multiple display" means support of two or more
> > monitors(or displays) simultaneously like a extended desktop mode and the
> > ability to drag-and-drop windows from one display to the other.
> >
> > Am I right regarding my understanding of "multiple display" support in
> > Wayland ?
>
> Yes.

Thanks. Now that we know multiple display is supported, We will have to see
as to why it doesn't work on the OMAP board.

> > I am are running Wayland/Weston 1.5 on the TI Jacinto J6 board with two
> > displays connected ( via HDMI and LCD connectors ). I am unable to get
> the
> > extended display started. Do I have to change/add any thing in the
> > weston.ini file to get the extended display started ?
>
> AFAIK, Weston-DRM automatically takes all connected outputs into use,
> unless specifically told not to in weston.ini, or the kernel reports
> them as disconnected.
>

> I assume fbcon runs fine cloned to both displays, right?

Console runs fine on both the displays.

> You are using Weston with the DRM backend, right?

Yes, we are using DRM backend. We are also able to run Weston on HDMI and
LCD individually by supplying --connector=<connectorID> argument.
When run without the connector arg it picks up the LCD screen and HDMI
remains bank ( no windows can be moved across to the HDMI screen )

> Fbdev-backend cannot deal with more than one output.

Thanks,