Where should project Weston go?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Wed Dec 10 15:21:16 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 04:00:43PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hmm. I think our biggest problem with review is that the one-reviewer model
> doesn't scale. We currently have Patchwork to address that in an ad-hoc
> manner, but could we do better with more tooling? Something like Gerrit
> perhaps? I don't want to give up on the review + gatekeeper model, because
> while it does have its limitations (particularly whilst we only have one of
> them), I really don't want to go back to the old model.

Of course there's a whole array of different ways other projects have
tackled these same issues...  Probably we can gain what we need via
tweaks to our existing model.

One thing I've observed as a contributor and reviewer is that while we
think of wayland as a "review + gatekeeper" model, many times the
gatekeeper is the only one to give the review.  I think strengthening on
the review side might help ease the gatekeeping workload.

An idea I've been kicking around would be to *require* Reviewed-by on
all patches.  Now, you'd probably think this would *slow* things down,
but consider this:  If as a patch submitter I know I have to get
someone's review, then I'm going to be more motivated to give other
people reviews myself.  I will also find that by making my patches
easier to review, they'll get a Reviewed-by faster, and thus will land
faster.

Of course, we wouldn't want to impose the work of checking Reviewed-by's
on the gatekeeper; our goal is to simplify their workflow not add more
to it.  Ideally patchwork would have a mode to "show only reviewed
patches" and let it do the filtering.  Unfortunately it doesn't have
that capability (yet?), but we could abuse the State field to track it
manually.

Bryce