XWayland security, equals to X11 or Wayland?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Jan 8 21:59:52 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Rui Tiago Cação Matos
<tiagomatos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 January 2014 20:59, Tobias Sarnowski <tobias at sarnowski.io> wrote:
>> does XWayland operate? From the highlevel documentation at
>> http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html I conclude, that the X11 support
>> is done via having a single Wayland client which then multiplexes the stuff
>> internally to all X11 clients. So my guess is, that all X11 applications
>> that work via XWayland have access to eachother but not other native Wayland
>> clients.
>
> This is correct.
>
>> Or are the X11 clients already separated ike Wayland clients, so
>> that this security aspect is already solved for those?
>
> I don't think this can be done without breaking X11 clients, so it
> will remain like that.

It would be possible to run an X server per X client, which would
provide similar isolation.  GIven that xwayland already proxies
copy-and-paste through the compositor (and hopefully dnd in the
future), this basic inter-client communication would still be
supported.

Kristian