Screen shooting and recording protocols (Re: Authorized clients)

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Thu Jan 9 12:20:47 PST 2014

Le 09/01/2014 20:14, Bill Spitzak a écrit :
> Pekka Paalanen wrote:
>
>> Right... so that'd be a framerate hint, which the compositor only uses
>> if it needs to do a significant amount of work for each sent frame. We
>> probably want to keep most of the rate control still in the encoding
>> program, so it can pick the best frames to drop or duplicate.
>
> My quick impression is that a framerate hint is not needed. Instead
> they are throttled by the client not releasing the buffers.
>
> If there is only one buffer not in use by the client the compositor
> cannot send the event. Depending on the implementation it can either
> keep updating this buffer with each frame, update it only once or
> periodically, or do nothing. When the client releases a second buffer
> it  then waits if necessary for a frame to be copied to the buffer and
> then sends the event.

That's a good idea, I didn't think to use the safety mechanism as a
throttling one!

There is one thing I don't like with this though. It will work great if
the ring
buffer only has 1 buffer. If it had more and we were using a method
involving
copies, it would create useless ones. It is good food for thoughts though!