libinput requirements for feature parity with X

Ping Cheng pinglinux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:25:57 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ping Cheng wrote:
>
>      graphics tablets:
>>     * extended axis event support
>>     * tool change notification (could be just button events? not sure)
>>

>> Will tool id, serial number, and tool type be supported here?
>>

> Shouldn't each tool be a different pointing device? It at least needs to
> know which tool is being used when moving it, it can't be deferred until
> the first button is being pushed.

Good point.

> Are tablets capable of handling more than one tool at a time? If this is
> at all plausable I think they all have to be different pointers since
> otherwise there is no way to indicate which x/y position is which tool.
> Otherwise I guess a "tool changed" event would work.

Even when there is only one tool on the tablet at a time, artists/users may
have different configuration for different tools. Application needs to
"remember" which tool, such as air brush 1 vs air brush 2, matches with
which setting so it can switch setting automatically when a specific tool
is detected.

Ping