Running wayland inside something other than monitors.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 23:08:01 PDT 2014

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:24:35 -0400
Kyle Siefring <kyle.siefring at verizon.net> wrote:

> I've seen a few GUIs implemented in video games and they always suck.
> I'm curious as to how one could get qt/gtk/ect running inside SDL. Would
> it be practical to pile a modified Wayland and a modified toolkit
> running inside SDL to get this effect?
>
> I don't want to dive into a bunch of unfamiliar C so I probably won't do
> this anytime soon, but I just want to know.

Well, it would be perfectly possible to have your game act as a Wayland
compositor. You could then run even unmodified Wayland apps, and present
them inside your game. I'm not sure if that is what you are after
though, but it could be a way to get those popular toolkits into use
for your game with mostly the effort of implementing a Wayland
compositor for desktop protocols and not modifying the toolkits at all.