Keysym event in the text protocol

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:36:43 PDT 2014

Yes I saw that, but it is a file descriptor. My reading was that a
client machine must have somewhere in it's file system every possible
keyboard that could be on a remote machine. That is actually what led to
my question.

I suppose the xkb description can be sent: the local compositor would
aquire the file the first time it connects to a remote compositor. I
would then be concerned about loading an interpreted file from an
untrusted source, but I guess xkb descriptions are simple enough that
this can be made safe.

What I am really trying to get an answer to is what is special about
keyboards. Everybody seems to be in agreement that the compositor will
call libinput and translate raw evdev events from touchpads into
something more useful. Surely if there is some advantage to the xkb
scheme it would apply equally to touchpads, and the compositor would
send raw events and clients would link to libinput and read touchpad
description files.