RFC : xdg_surface_present() look-and-feel and implementation

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:58:57 PDT 2014

On 07/29/2014 03:03 PM, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

>     "Another question for Manuel: Does present() interact with the
>     surface commit? Should it?"
>     Not in a way that I know of. From a compositor point of view,
>     present() (when the user interacts to show) does only change the
>     surface worskpace, stacking order, and focus. I doesn't trigger a
>     commit, or at least it's unwanted. I think it can be compared to
>     what happens when you cycle through windows with "Mod-Tab" and
>     choose one.
>

> Given that it's not supposed to be directly tied to a specific
> compositor action, that's probably best.  I just wanted to make sure you
> were thinking about this and had a reason.

Actually any such requests from the desktop shell need to go through the
client before they are reacted to. What clicking on the indicator should
do is send an "activate" event (or something like that) to the client.

The client can then change it's graphics to indicate that it is
activated, and do a commit. This will also cause any rearrangement of
the window layers. Thus the appearance and reordering of the surfaces
will be simultaneous with the graphics changes.