browser status on "pure wayland"

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:34:25 PDT 2014

Hello There!

Apologies if this has been discussed for years now but I've managed to
build weston on wayland without any X11 dependency and miserably failed to
build a WebKitGTK even forcing GTK3 which does build without problems on
X-less systems.

in WebKit2 --gtk=3.0 GTK2 is still required for some reason behind the
scene but GTK2 won't build without xorg libraries which is kinda a fail
since I had to bring in X related stuff that messed up with all other
autogen.sh builds ^_^

Qt would probably be my best bet but AFAIK they are moving from QtWebkit to
QtWebEngine and I'm not sure what's the status there (is this still the
case?)

Long story short: I'd like to have a pure wayland browser but I've no idea
how to build one without bringing X libraries in.

Can anyone please point me to a previous discussion or give me hints for a
possible solution/repo/build instructions?

Thanks a lot and most of all, thanks for Wayland, it's amazing so far!