Window placement

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sun Jun 29 13:40:10 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, reply-to-all so CC's do not get dropped.

Thanks Pekka for the excellent response. This is going to be a really
useful quotable mail in the future :)

... snip ...

http://people.collabora.com/~pq/menu-rotate.png
> http://people.collabora.com/~pq/rotate3d-pixman-more.png
>
> Those are not just temporary effects, I can actually leave the
> windows be like that, and interact with them *correctly*. That means
> things like mouse cursor position being relayed right for each
> window, which cannot be done if using global coordinates.
>
> If we had any global coordinates in the protocol, that would be
> practically impossible. (While the screenshots above are using
> 2D-projective matrices, nothing prevents you from doing completely
> non-linear transformations, and everything will still work right
> without any fixing in apps.)

I just want to add: this isn't just a gimmick feature. This is actually
used in real-world scenarios right now. If you have a high-DPI display and
are running legacy applications, we scale up the window to 2x. If the app
tried to place the window 10px from the bottom right of the real
coordinates of the display, it would be far off the screen to the down and
right.

... snip ...

> Thanks,
> pq