wl_tablet specification draft

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 23:35:32 PDT 2014

On 06/28/2014 02:41 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

>> - The pen moves the seat's mouse cursor, always. If more than one cursor
>> is wanted the pen should be in a different seat. The user is not
>> manipulating more than one device at a time and does not want to see two
>> cursors.
>
> ...and then you said the exact opposite, plus you require the
> broken case where the same hardware events map to multiple
> completely different protocols (wl_pointer *and* tablet).
>
> Moving seat's "mouse cursor" means the tablet/pen controls the
> wl_pointer and sends wl_pointer events. I don't see any way around
> that.

I meant that the pen moves the same *image* that the mouse moves. Not
that it sends the same events.

I was not really clear there, but one big advantage Wayland will have is
that Wayland clients will already be aware there is such a thing as
tablets, therefore there will not be a need to make tablets send mouse
events.