weston logind and display managers

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:18:00 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm porting sddm (QtQuick based display manager) to Wayland, it's
still work in progress but close to be in a usable state and you can
find it here:

https://github.com/plfiorini/sddm/tree/wayland

There are some multiple screen issues specific to how sddm work
compared to wl_fullscreen_shell but at least i've got it to display a
window on the primary screen and that's good enough for now.

All is going well so far however it's still not capable of running a
weston session.

I managed to acquire a new tty every time a wayland session is
started, then I set the owner and read/write permission only to the
user that just logged in and open an fd for the tty but weston fails
with the following errors:

logind: cannot set K_OFF KB-mode on /dev/tty2: Operation not permitted
logind: cannot setup systemd-logind helper (-1), using legacy fallback
fatal: drm backend should be run using weston-launch binary or as root
fatal: failed to create compositor

Is there something I'm missing in setting up the tty?
--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/