weston logind and display managers

Pier Luigi pierluigi.fiorini at gmail.com
Sat May 10 00:44:01 PDT 2014

> On Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:18:00 PM Pier Luigi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm porting sddm (QtQuick based display manager) to Wayland, it's
>> still work in progress but close to be in a usable state and you can
>> find it here:
>>
>> https://github.com/plfiorini/sddm/tree/wayland
>>
>> There are some multiple screen issues specific to how sddm work
>> compared to wl_fullscreen_shell but at least i've got it to display a
>> window on the primary screen and that's good enough for now.
>>
>> All is going well so far however it's still not capable of running a
>> weston session.
>>
>> I managed to acquire a new tty every time a wayland session is
>> started, then I set the owner and read/write permission only to the
>> user that just logged in and open an fd for the tty but weston fails
>> with the following errors:
>>
>> logind: cannot set K_OFF KB-mode on /dev/tty2: Operation not permitted
>> logind: cannot setup systemd-logind helper (-1), using legacy fallback
>> fatal: drm backend should be run using weston-launch binary or as root
>> fatal: failed to create compositor
>>
>> Is there something I'm missing in setting up the tty?
>>
> Hi.
>
> Going by what I know, weston currently has the ability to talk to systemd and not have to use weston-launch if you have systemd v209 or greater, and it gets compiled in.
>

> It looks like Weston is attempting to do use the logind integration, and is failing.
>
> I think with the systemd integration in Weston you don't have to change the tty owner yourself, and I don't know if it that could be the problem
>
> And then it looks like weston is failing back to using the standard method of requiring weston-launch, and because it can't talk to weston-launch, it's exiting.
>
> I hope this helps

Without setting owner and permission weston fails before that check
with permission denied.
Also without doing an OPENQRY myself from the display manager I don't
see how I can know which vt XDG_VTNR and PAM_TTY need to be set to.

logind is used for drm and input devices at least it seems to me at a
first look at it.

--
Out of the box experience
http://www.maui-project.org/