libinput: Support for long press key detection?

Stefanie Behme steffi.behme at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:21:26 PDT 2014

Hi,

on last ELCE in Duesseldorf I learned that the development of libinput
was started to handle input devices in Wayland compositors. I had a look
in the API documentation and found that the enum "libinput_key_state"
has these values: LIBINPUT_KEY_STATE_RELEASED and
LIBINPUT_KEY_STATE_PRESSED.

There is a need to detect if a key is pressed (and hold) for a certain
amount of time. If this is the case a long-press key event is send. It
is also possible that several long-press key events are defined for one
key, e.g.:
- 500 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_1
- 1000 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_2
- 5000 ms: KEY_STATE_LONG_PRESSED_3

A long press on a key is e.g. used to create a screen shot.

Is there any plan to support this kind of long press detection? How
could this look like? Any ideas?

Best regards
Steffi