how to make Xwayland auto start on tizen-ivi-3.0 image

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:09:04 PDT 2014

On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 10:38:10 +0800
"Steve (YiLiang) Zhou" <szhou at telecomsys.com> wrote:

> Well, that’s a history problem. What’s the shortage of running things as root?

It is pretty much the same thing as why guns tend to have safeties, and
are kept in locked cabinets when not actively handled, with keys only
with those who know how to use them safely. It keeps your (system's)
health better protected.

http://www.howtogeek.com/124950/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-log-into-your-linux-system-as-root/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/16178/why-is-it-bad-to-login-as-root
http://superuser.com/questions/666942/why-it-is-not-recommend-to-use-root-login-in-linux
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/1052/concern-about-logging-in-as-root-overrated

...the few first hits on Google.

While all those are about logging in as root, it's not really
any different to starting programs as root from the init system.

Of course, if you are working on a closed embedded system which does
not talk with the outside world at all, the dangers of running
everything as root are smaller. However, you still compromise the
system's ability to recover from failures, as an unexpected fault may
screw up the system permanently, e.g. by overwriting files that are
required for basic operation. Like things in /usr.

If your /usr was read-only, you'd be much more guaranteed the system is
able to reboot into a working state if it ever goes haywire and starts
doing crazy things.

The less a process has privileges, the less damage it can cause
when it malfunctions or someone abuses it.