Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

x414e54 x414e54 at linux.com
Sat Apr 18 20:53:13 PDT 2015

This is why my original suggestion was for a generic controller
protocol similar to DirectInput or pass libinput events directly
similar to HID RawInput rather than a fd.

Also even if you are passing a fd it does not mean it needs to
re-implement trackpad support, if they driver exports a mouse HID
usage page then you can pass this directly, or you could export a fd
to some abstracted device which transmits relative axis information
(which is what libinput is doing anyway). But my preferred idea would
be better to send HID compatible events with a device id so you can
open the device directly if you need to.

Passing around relative values in a wl_pointer and hoping the
unaccelerated data will fit into a wl_fixed_t or even that the device
supports relative mode, seems very restrictive for games. High dpi
mouse wheels also exist and currently the wl_pointer axis events will
not support this. Also there is no information about the wl_pointer
axes, are they normalised, relative, absolute and/or discrete. Force
feedback/haptic mice (and trackpads) also exist.

The input protocol should be generic allowing the implementation to be
able to grow around it otherwise you are limiting the growth of game
innovation on Linux by whatever a small group of people decide a
"wl_pointer" is.