Wayland Relative Pointer API Progress

x414e54 x414e54 at linux.com
Tue Apr 21 19:32:25 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
> If a client opens a device, will that interfere with wayland's reading of
> the device? For instance if the client opens the mouse, will wayland still
> get the mouse position such that it can revoke access when the cursor moves
> out of the window?

Multiple read access to the same device should work fine.

I think it is the writing that is the main issue. If the hardware has
a setting that either the compositor is not aware of (so cannot reset)
and could confuse the compositor's handling of the device in some way.

But this applies to all devices even on non Wayland systems so
probably should be done at a separate level.

I guess you could advise that all drivers support context switching,
where the entire device state is stored in the context which the
compositor can just switch to/from without caring what it is actually
changing. Then it is just up to the driver vendor or evdev to make
their implementation secure.