Proposed 1.9 release schedule

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 02:16:11 PDT 2015

Hi all,

this looks fine to me personally. I'll point out some specific feature
cut-off points below, in case anyone wants to scream.

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:42:53 -0700
Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> We're coming up to our next scheduled release.  I've got a few scattered
> events and holidays but looking at my calendar, these dates look
> feasible and fit the timeframe we wanted:
>
> * 8/14 (Friday) - 1.8.91 (1.9 alpha)

The end of big new features. I think this will cut:
- any changes or additions to protocols installed from Wayland
- introducing the proxy wrapper in libwayland-client
- require WAYLAND_DISPLAY, and the other env variable additions and
  changes in Wayland
- building of libweston.so

> * 9/01 (Tuesday) - 1.8.92 (1.9 beta)
>     + Feature freeze

Cuts:
- pointer lock, if patching only Weston
- Weston atomic
- Weston dmabuf

> * 9/15 (Tuesday) - 1.8.93 (1.9 rc1)
>     + Final freeze
>
> * rc2 only if necessary
>
> * 9/22 (Tuesday) - 1.9.0 (1.9 release)
>     + Re-open trunk for 1.10 development

To clarify, "cut" means the essential patches need to have landed, or
they need to wait for 1.10 developement to open.

Would you agree on the categorization between big and minor features,
that is, alpha vs. beta?

> Notably, I'd like to shift from doing releases on Fridays to mid-week,
> but that's mostly just for my own convenience.  If anyone prefers
> strongly that I stick with Friday releases let me know.
>
> I'm also shifting to calling the releases alpha/beta/rc instead of
> alpha/rc1/rc2, since we don't typically consider that second one to be
> an actual candidate for releasing.  Again, I'm guessing no one but me
> cares, but if anyone wants to stick with the old approach let me know.

Yeah, that's cool.

Referring to http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-May/014955.html :

- alpha: all big features landed, only minor,
   contained features after this

- beta: only bug fixes after this

- rc: only critical bug fixes after this

Seems like a good idea to keep on using, right?