Timelines for Wayland/Weston 1.7 and 1.6.1

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Tue Jan 13 15:43:28 PST 2015

Hi all,

I've volunteered to help handle the 1.7 and 1.6.1 releases, including
alphas and pre-releases.  This email outlines the plan; for those who've
been through a release before there should be no surprises here.

== Wayland/Weston 1.7.0 ==

The last release announcement outlines the schedule for releasing 1.7:

  - 1.7-alpha release in mid-January 2015, around January 16th, so people
    have a couple of weeks after holidays to push the last minute stuff.
    This is the deadline for any big features.

  - 1.7-rc1 around January 30th. Only bug fixes after this.

  - 1.7-rc2 around February 6th.

  - 1.7.0 release around February 13th, Friday.

If you have features or large refactorings that you feel strongly should
be included in 1.7, but aren't going to make it by Friday, drop me an
email.

For bug fixes, doc content, test cases, and other low-risk work, you
still have a couple weeks.  However, since the review queue is still
fairly backed up, it'll depend on how much the maintainers can get
through.

== Stable Wayland/Weston 1.6.1 ==

I'll be doing stable releases of wayland and weston as well.

  - 1.6.1 around January 23rd.

I'll be cherry-picking patches from 1.7.x - bug fixes, protocol doc
changes, improved error handling, new test cases, and minor doxygen
content updates.  No refactoring or changes that depend on refactoring,
nothing that alters return codes or types, or in any way changes the
API.  For weston, nothing that changes compositor.h.

If anyone has anything specific they'd like to see included in the
stable branch that has already landed on the master branch, please drop
me an email and I'll try to make sure it gets cherry-picked.

== Notes ==

1: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-September/017396.html