[RFC libinput] Add an API for touchpad gesture events

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 09:42:54 PST 2015

Hi,

On 29-01-15 16:23, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> On jue, 2015-01-29 at 21:54 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

<snip>

>> Isn't this mostly a UI issue than the gesture itself? Most gestures you
>> "undo" by doing the reverse. when you start pinching, expanding the
>> fingers restores you back to the original state. A slow swipe would be
>> the same, a fast swipe is likely over before you realise it's the wrong
>> thing to do :)
>>
>> So in both cases it's the compositor/client that needs to realize that
>> the gesture was undone and behave accordingly. Gestures that are
>> "binary" (e.g. start something, show the overview, etc.) will need some
>> sort of trigger threshold at which they kick in (and you can ease that
>> by hinting something will happen before the threshold kicks in).
>>
>> Either way, all that heavily depends on semantics that libinput doesn't
>> have access to. So I'm not sure at the moment what you envision as
>> gesture cancellation.
>
> Ok :), let's try calling it "gesture shifting", I'll try to picture it
> with an specific example: I sloppily start a 4 finger swipe, in a way
> that 3 fingers start within the touchpad area and the 4th lies slightly
> outside. As I swipe the 4th finger enters the touchpad area and is thus
> detected too.
>
> Now let's say libinput already started recognizing the 3fg gesture, at
> this point, either triggering SWIPE_END for 3fg immediately and
> switching to 4fg, or locking on the first 3fg gesture and ignoring the
> 4th finger would result in an action I didn't consciously make.
>
> Of course you can punt this to the compositor, and trust they have big
> enough thresholds to avoid falling into this mistake once the 3fg
> gesture "ends", I think such "hmm, the user probably didn't mean this"
> should be made explicit though.
>
> The challenges I see with touchpads is that they have a rather limited
> physical area, they're something you don't usually look at directly when
> operating, user dexterity varies, and not all have bevels to help your
> muscle memory. IMO this all makes such situations not too unlikely.

The way I see this is really simple:

1) the user has made a mistake / wrongly operated the computer
2) the computer as a result does not do what the computer wants

This is basically expected behavior, if you mistype, you get the wrong
letter, if with a mouse you accidentally click next to where you intended
to click, the computer / software behaves as if you deliberately misclicked.

What you're asking for is a crystal ball / a DWIM (do what I mean) computer,
and those simply do not exist. If we at all sort of magic heuristics to try
and correct user errors like the above, all that we will end up is so much
magic that the user will no longer understand why the computer is responding
the way it is.

Where as if we do not try to be smart the user will think, ok one of my fingers
was not actually on the touchpad, I better pay attention that I do not do that
again.

This only becomes a problem is the result of the unintended gesture is not
undo-able, and frankly if a UI has things triggered by gestures which cannot
be (easily) undone, then that is simply a BAD UI.

Regards,

Hans